This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
I used to love going to the movies, stuffing myself full of concession stand food, & watching a movie the whole way through without any interruption. However….I have not been to the movies in years. I’m not ready to attempt to take my children yet. They can not go more than 3 minutes without talking, and none of them know how to whisper. So until we are ready to attempt the movie theater we do movie nights at home. Of course snacks are a must. Since my family enjoyed the Leprechaun Bait & Ultimate Valentine’s Day Popcorn Mix, I made a snack mix using some of our movie theater concession stand favorites.
My youngest picked The Secret Life of Pets (it was her turn to pick the movie). We all really enjoyed this movie. There was enough strong humor that it was enjoyable for adults, but not so strong that it is at all inappropriate for children. I also enjoy watching any movie that shows toys or animals talking and having a life when people aren’t around. I believe it engages our imagination. Also….it’s very entertaining.
The movie really focused on the strength of friendship & the acceptance of new people/change. Max is used to being the only dog in his owner Katie’s life. He thinks it will be just the two of them forever. Until Katie brings home a new dog, Duke. Max doesn’t like a new dog being in his home & tries to get rid of him. However, in his attempt to get rid of Duke, he sets in action a series of events that leaves both dogs fighting for their lives, far from home.
The mischief they get into is entertaining, the storyline is easy to follow, & the dialogue is funny. Over all this movie was very enjoyable to watch. We laughed the whole way through & it kept my children’s attention. My honest rating would be 8/10.
MOVIE NIGHT POPCORN SNACK MIX
What you need:
- Package microwavable popcorn
- 1/4 goobers
- 1/4 snow-caps
- 1/4 Reese’s pieces
- 1 cup white candy melts
- 1/2 cup melting chocolate
- 1/4 cup each of any 2 candy melt colors (we went with pink & green)
- 1 cup pretzels
What to do:
- Pop the popcorn according to package. Pour into a large bowl.
- Melt the white candy melts according to package and pour over the popcorn. Mix until all the popcorn is coated.
- Spread popcorn out on wax paper (or a casserole dish works).
- Cover evenly with pretzels.
- Melt chocolate & drizzle over, followed by the candy.
- Melt the colorful candy melts & drizzle over, followed by the sprinkles.
- Let the candy melts harden & set.
- Once set, break apart & package.
All ready to hand out for movie night!!!!!